Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Why I use Mindjet MindManager as the center of my GTD implementation.

I have a belief that the Getting Things Done (GTD) systematic approach as developed by David Allen, is a form of art.

I suggest the idea of art relates to how you wield your focus, your lists and apply your routines. When all the parts are working together GTD gives you amazing satisfaction and clarity, you gain perspective and control. Further more, you see beauty that perhaps only you appreciated, it is your art and you are the creator.

So what does this have to do with mind mapping software?

Well, in doing art, I prefer to use a blank canvas rather than stencils or traces. With a blank canvas I can go where I want, when I want and how I want. The blank canvas doesn't impede my creativity.

Mind Mapping is like a blank canvas, in that it is relatively free form and definitely a facilitator of creativity. Further more, by using software mind mapping tools, like Mindjet MindManager, I can save my work, revisit it, easily erase it and also remodel it. Ultimately, these tools help me get things done by allowing me to explore, re-use and evolve my "art".

Working in a mind map, allows me to visualise how my list items relate to none another, I can "picture" where I am at and where I need to be. For now, anyway, it is where I want to focus my GTD implementation.

You can read how I use MindManager for GTD via my blog.

TPAssist Limited is not licensed, certified, approved, or endorsed by or otherwise affiliated with David Allen or the David Allen Company which is the creator of the Getting Things Done® system for personal productivity. GTD® and Getting Things Done® are registered trademarks of the David Allen Company. For more information on the David Allen Company's products, please visit their website: www.davidco.com.