Wednesday, June 3, 2009

How I use MindManager and TPAssist as my GTD list manager (Version 2)

Our tools have been evolved and so too has my approach to using MindManager for the Getting Things Done (GTD) approach developed by David Allen (http://www.davidco.com/).

My evolved approach takes advantage of the new capabilities in TPAssist 2007 version 1.6 and TPAssistCapture 1.2. My environment and system (described below) has been setup as per the Getting Started Guide in TPAssist 1.6's Help.


So here is how I currently implement my GTD Next Action and general list management with Mindjet MindManager and TPAssist tools ... (See a video of this approach)

I have an extensive implementation of TPAssist's “My Life” template and also the TPAssist role based Dashboard, resulting in near on 150 linked maps, some of which are whole projects and some of which contain lots of mini-projects.

My GTD "runway" map or as I am calling it, my “Ultimate Dashboard” mirror’s GTD’s “Organizing Categories” (see or download the template here). This is now my default map when MindManager opens. I have linked the Outcomes section to separate maps for a cleaner picture. I have linked my “My Life” and workplace dashboard to the “Areas of Focus”.



Adding in projects and actions is presently achieved using three methods:


Firstly, I instantly capturing, storing and then "sending" new items to the Dashboard by using TPAssistCapture.





Secondly, emails that I don't delete are "sent to" my GTD system for further processing using TPAssistCapture for Microsoft Outlook.





And finally, I enter results of any natural planning directly into a project map, then link the next action to my Dashboard via TPAssist 2007's "Link At" capability.





Any items I capture are generally sent to the focus map to which they relate and in the same motion they are linked to the appropriate ACTION category. Capture items that require further clarification or filing are sent to my run-way "IN-BASKET".



As I complete actions (and the projects), I drop into the focus area or project map, update it using TPAssist’s existing journaling capabilities to record my progress and success, and then use TPAssist 2007's "Link At" command to send the next action to my run-way map. I don't get too worried about accurately grooming my run-way list because I know that my weekly and monthly reviews of Areas of Focus will show up anything that is new or duplicated.


In addition, I am using TPAssist 2007's Outlook Integration to keep some of the next actions synchronised with Outlook and therefore my mobile device.



My key routines include my daily "zeroing", my weekly review and my monthly focus area reviews.

My "Zeroing" routine is as per the TPAssist 2007 Getting Started Guide (see our blog for a summary of this routine). A further technique I use to keep me on track, is that I have added these routines to the Map Parts Library in MindManager. To "zero", I simply add the Map part to my GTD IN-BASKET topic. The steps then appear as task topics and I just work through them. If I get interrupted, I can quickly and easily pick-up where I left off, avoiding the costly process of restarting.

My Weekly Review generally follows the steps outlined in David Allen's latest book, Making It All Work. (See our blog for a summary of this process). For the weekly review, I also use a Map Part and drop the list of items into my GTD In-Basket, as outlined above in "Zeroing".

On a monthly basis, I review my focus areas. I've split the reviews over three weeks, so I don't have too much to get through in any one sitting. i.e. at the start of the month I review my job related focus areas, then mid month I review my professional development and in the 3rd week, I review my personal and family focus areas. (See our blog for a summary of this process). As per the Zeroing and Weekly Review routines, I use a predefined set of steps that I drop into my GTD IN-Basket on the day of the review, so if I don't get through everything immediately, I can easily pickup the next step later in the day or the next day.


Though I am really happy with my current implementation of MindManager as my GTD list manager, there are still areas for improvement, especially around reducing some of the steps in reviews and working with completed items. There are also some areas of the Outlook integration that I would like to see improved. But for now it works, it keeps me focused and it definitely aids my productivity.


TPAssist Limited is not licensed, certified, approved, or endorsed by or otherwise affiliated with David Allen or the David Allen Company which is the creator of the Getting Things Done® system for personal productivity. GTD® and Getting Things Done® are registered trademarks of the David Allen Company. For more information on the David Allen Company's products, please visit their website: http://www.davidco.com/.